Strike a Balance: Effective Leadership and Management
Time: 8:30 am - 10:30 am
Strategies – Skills for working with individuals, teams, and change projects
Facilitator: Rebecca Weisman
Session 1: Striking A Balance: Blending Effective Leadership and Management Skills
Experts say Americans are over managed and under led. Effective leadership and management is a balancing act in nonprofits where many professionals wear both hats regularly. Do you know which skills you need for each role and the ones that benefit both? When can leadership and management compete against one another? Discuss strategies that can be helpful when you need to lead but aren’t the decision-maker. Explore six emotional leadership styles (that can be applicable when managing, too) with consideration for the best times to use each.
- Define the roles of both leaders and managers and recognize the necessary skills for success in each
- Identify core skills that benefit both leadership and management and how those skills may be applied differently in each setting
- Consider situations when certain leadership and management skills may be in conflict and strategies for leading in the absence of authority
- Understand 6 different emotional leadership styles and considerations for when each type may be preferable.
Session 2: Strategies for Effective Communication with Teams
Managing committees and teams requires keen strategies and approaches for organizing people and workflow. What strategies maximize results from employees and volunteers? How can you make meetings productive and not painful? Discuss some proven methods for supervising staff for success, and consider ways to provide effective feedback.
- Explore ways to get results from a body of people with a purpose
- Create a game plan for structuring team meetings that work
- Dive into the essential elements communicating with each team member: the 1:1
- Discuss effective feedback and evaluation strategies
Session 3: Change Management
Change initiatives can be invigorating and essential to the mission and vision of an organization. Do you know the essential dos and don’ts to lead and manage change that sticks? Find out the secrets you need to know before you dive in, and discuss some of the strategies that are valuable in creating forward motion. Help your supervisor and lay leaders champion change and be there to help you as your strongest advocates.
- Uncover the secrets everyone needs to know about change in the workplace
- Learn how the Appreciative Inquiry approach can galvanize buy-in
- Discuss key steps to implementing successful change initiatives
- Consider how delegation serves an important role in creating lasting change
- Share strategies for communicating about change with supervisors and lay leadership